- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) reduced-fat pound cake
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup orange juice (or orange liqueur)
- 2 pints fresh blackberries and/or boysenberries, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) container fat-free whipped topping
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in beaten egg yolks.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat, boil gently for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in vanilla and refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- Cut pound cake into 1-inch slices.
- Arrange half the slices on bottom of a trifle bowl (a wide, deep bowl with straight sides) or any deep glass bowl.
- Spread raspberry jam over slices and drizzle with orange juice or liqueur.
- Layer with half the berries, then half the chilled custard and half the whipped topping.
- Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
- Top with toasted almonds.
5 ounces (1/16 of recipe)
Note: You can also make this recipe using instant vanilla pudding and blueberries, raspberries and/or sliced strawberries.
Shape; May 2004.