- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup skim milk (can substitute soy milk or almond milk)
- 1/2 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons butter or non-trans-fat margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen, unsweetened blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, yogurt, and butter/margarine.
- Mix the oat flour, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Stir the batter just to blend. Do not overbeat.
- Fold in the blueberries and turn the batter into the prepared pan.
- For the topping: in a small bowl, stir together the sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
The Cancer Lifeline Cookbook