Ask the Nutritionist
Q: Is there a particular brand or type of calcium supplement that you recommend for post-menopause?
A: There isn't a different brand or type of calcium supplement that I would recommend for post-menopausal women or pre-menopausal women, just differing amounts. Post-menopausal women need 200 mg more of calcium per day (1200mg).
Calcium is best absorbed in dosages of 500-600 mg and under. We recommend avoiding any supplements with doses larger than that. You should aim to be getting that 1200 mg of calcium through diet and supplements.
Some brands tested and approved by ConsumerLabs:
- CVS Pharmacy Natural Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc
- Nature Made Calcium 750 mg+D+K
- Viactiv Calcium Plus D (chocolate chews)
- Member's Mark Calcium 600 mg with Vitamin D3
- Vitamin Shoppe Calcium Citrate plus Magnesium and Vitamin D
Examples of calcium-rich foods:
- 1 cup non-fat milk: 300 mg
- 1 cup low-fat, plain yogurt: 300 mg
- 1.5 ounces shredded cheese: 306 mg
- 1 cup raw broccoli: 90 mg
The body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium, making both important for bone health. Resistance exercise is also important for promoting bone strength.