- 1 1/2 pounds sweet cherries (5 cups) rinsed and pitted
- 1 cup raspberries, rinsed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat frozen vanilla yogurt (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- To prepare fruit: Combine cherries, raspberries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make topping. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl with a fork. Add butter and blend with a pastry blender or your fingertips. Add oil and stir to coat. Add orange juice concentrate and blend with your fingertips until dry ingredients are moistened.
- When fruit has baked for 20 minutes, stir it and sprinkle topping evenly over the surface. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, until fruit is bubbly and tender, and topping is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature with frozen yogurt, if desired.
8 servings (Serving size: 1/2 cup)
Eating Well, The Magazine of Food and Health