- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup bulgur or cracked wheat
- 1 cup dried cranberries, raisins, or chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Stir all ingredients together and store in air-tight container at room temperature for up to 6 months. Recipe makes about 4 2/3 cups cereal mix, which will yield approximately 14 individual servings once cooked.
- Combine 3/4 cup water* and 1/3 cup cereal mix in microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave uncovered on 50 percent power for 9 to 11 minutes or until cereal is desired consistency. Stir once during cooking.
*To boost calories and protein, make with milk instead of water.
The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 1996.