- 1 28-ounce can of low-sodium chopped tomatoes, including juice
- 7 cups vegetable stock or vegetable broth
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco Sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)
- 36 nonfat oyster crackers for garnish (optional)
- Place all ingredients except oyster crackers in a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Cook about 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened. If the mixture begins to stick to the bottom, change pots to avoid burning the soup.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Puree in a blender or food processor in several batches, then return to a clean pot.
- Warm over low heat until just simmering.
- Ladle into bowls. Float trans fat-free oyster crackers on top of each serving.
12 servings (3 quarts)
The Taste for Living Cookbook, 1998 by Beth Ginsberg