- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, or cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, such as navy beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until onions are very soft and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle or cayenne and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in the canned and fresh tomatoes, the kidney, white and black beans, water and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring everything to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili has reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
You can serve immediately, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
6 servings (serving size: about 2 cups)