- 3 leeks (white and light green parts only), cleaned and chopped
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 medium russet or Yukon potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup milk or coconut milk
In a large pot, over medium heat, add olive oil, leeks and onion; cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
Pour in vegetable broth, potatoes, and celery and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Add thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper to soup. Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend soup until smooth.
Add milk to soup; simmer uncovered for 5 more minutes, or until the soup has thickened.
Katelyn Castro is a nutrition volunteer at Dana-Farber and a student in the dietetics program at Syracuse University. Katelyn has a passion for cooking and sharing fresh seasonal recipes with friends and family that are both flavorful and nutritious.