- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups broccoli rabe (rappini), finely chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 boneless, skinless, free-range chicken breasts, split (4 pieces)
Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the shallot, stirring with a wooden spoon for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and garlic, stirring about 4 minutes. Season with black pepper, add the broccoli rabe over mushrooms, cover, and steam 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, and mix well.
Slice a 3-inch section of the chicken horizontally to form a pocket. Spoon in 1/3 cup of the mushroom filling into each of the breasts, tuck the ends under, and secure them with a toothpick. Place the chicken in a roasting pan, spray with olive oil, and season with black pepper. Bake to a golden brown, about 35 minutes, and serve.
4 (5-ounce stuffed) servings
Healing Gourmet: Eat to Fight Cancer, 2006 by Simin Liu, MD, ScD; Kathy McManus, MS, RD