- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 (4 1/2-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream for garnish
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stack tortillas and cut crosswise into thirds, then rotate 90 degrees and cut into 1/4-inch wide strips, and scatter in a baking pan. Toast until browned and crisp, stirring once, about 10 minutes.
- Mash 1 cup of beans in a small bowl with a fork. Set mashed and whole beans aside.
- Heat oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, cumin, green chiles, mashed and whole beans to the pot, bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of cilantro, toasted tortilla strips, and lime wedge.
6 (1 cup) servings
Eating Well, The Magazine of Food and Health