- 1 cup dried Christmas lima beans (or kidney, pinto, black or Swedish brown)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh or 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or ghee
- 1 medium onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups winter squash, cut in chunks (peel if not organic)
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
8-10 tablespoons grated cheese
- Soak beans according to package. Drain soaking water off beans. Place beans, water, and garlic in a pot; bring to boil. Cover and simmer until beans are tender (50-60 minutes) or pressure-cook with 2 cups water (45 minutes).
- In a large pot, quickly dry toast oregano, cumin seeds, and cinnamon for about 30 seconds.
- Add oil, onion, salt, and minced garlic; sauté until onion is soft (5 minutes).
- Add squash, tomatoes, chili powder and cook until squash is soft (about 20 minutes). Add a little water if mixture is dry.
- Add cooked beans and corn to squash mixture; simmer until corn is tender.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste. Serve hot with grated cheese garnish, if desired.
6 to 8 servings
Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair