- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup (1-inch) cut green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 6 lemon wedges
Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots. Cover and cook five minutes, or until tender. Add the curry powder, sugar, ginger, garlic, and chile. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
Place onion mixture in a 5-quart, electric slow cooker. Stir in chickpeas and next eight ingredients (through the broth). Cover and cook on "High" for six hours or until vegetables are tender.
Add spinach and coconut milk. Stir until spinach wilts.
Serve hot as a main dish or side dish with the lemon wedges as garnish.
6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups vegetable mixture and 1 lemon wedge)