- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine vinegar (may substitute with water)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the bulgur in a small bowl. Add the boiling water and let stand 20-25 minutes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the red onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Stir in the cumin, oregano, and walnuts; cook 45 seconds. Add the spinach and cook 30 seconds or until the spinach is wilted.
- Combine the beans and vinegar in a medium bowl. Mash well with a fork. Stir in the bulgur and onion-spinach mixture and mix until well blended. Taste the mixture for seasoning, and add salt and pepper if desired. Cover and place the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Remove the bean mixture from the refrigerator and quickly shape the mixture into 6 equal patties. Place the patties in a skillet and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until hot.
Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy by Walter C. Willett, MD