Patient and Family Support
- Back to School Program
Many children with cancer receive treatment in the outpatient setting, which allows them to stay in school and continue to develop intellectually and socially. However, returning to school can be an emotional experience; our Back to School Program is designed to ease your child's transition back to the classroom.
- Concierge Services
Concierge Services is your one-stop place to learn about Dana-Farber programs, services and resources, as well as information on getting around Boston, finding lodging or restaurants, and activities in the area.
- Creative Arts Program
The Creative Arts program provides patients, family members and caregivers with a variety of options to support well-being during cancer treatment. From dance and drama to music and writing, the program offers a range of creative outlets to suit every interest.
- Disability Services/Access
Dana-Farber and Children's Hospital, including parking facilities, are fully accessible to people with disabilities. There are wheelchairs at the main entrance, and security staff can provide personal assistance. We also have many educational materials available in large print and audiotape formats.
- Ethics Consultation Service
The Ethics Consultation Service is available for patients and families who may be facing difficult decisions and choices regarding care. Our goal is to bring together patients, families and health care providers to talk about ethical concerns and help everyone involved arrive at a resolution that is right for all.
- Exercise Classes and Consults
- Studies show exercise can help both during and after cancer treatment, strengthening the body, improving mood, and reducing fatigue. Learn about Dana-Farber's exercise classes and consultation program for cancer patients and survivors.
- For Caregivers
Find practical tips and suggestions for individuals caring for a family member or friend with cancer, including creating a caregiving plan, finding community resources, and looking after your own well-being.
- Friends Place
Friends' Place provides personal consultations to help cancer patients of all ages cope with changes in physical appearance that result from cancer treatment. Our experienced, compassionate team provides fittings for compression garments or breast prostheses, helps with wigs and other head coverings, and offers make-up and skincare advice.
- Gift Shop
The Friends' Corner Gift Shop, located on the first floor of the Yawkey Center for Cancer Care, offers a wide selection of unique gifts and everyday items for patients, families and staff.
- Home Visits
- Pediatric patients and their families are faced with many challenges throughout treatment. One of the greatest challenges for families is caring for a child at home. The Hospital-to-Home program helps to ensure a safe and seamless transition for the patient back into the home and community.
- Insurance and Financial Assistance
- Dana-Farber/Children’s Hospital Cancer Center offers several services to help you manage the financial side of you child’s cancer treatment. From creating bill payment schedules and estate planning advice to debt management and resource assistance for patients in need, our team is here for you.
- International Patient Assistance
Every year, thousands of patients with cancer from around the world come to Dana-Farber for their care. We provide a wide array of logistical and other services for individuals who live outside the United States.
Dana-Farber provides interpreting services for patients whose first language is not English. Interpreters may be requested for any activity, including registration, booking appointments, attending treatments and exams, support groups, and meetings with doctors and other members of your health care team.
- Just for Teens Program
Just for Teens provides programs and activities for teens and young adults with cancer at the Jimmy Fund Clinic and Children's Hospital Boston. We offer activities and events both inside and out of the hospital so that you have creative ways to pass the time and can meet other teens who are going through similar experiences.
- Nutrition Services
Our nutritionists are registered dietitians who can assist you in planning an optimal diet during any stage of your cancer journey, cope with any side effects you may experience, and answer your questions about the latest findings on cancer and nutrition.
- Patient and Family Resource Centers
The Eleanor and Maxwell Blum Patient and Family Resource Center and its satellite resource rooms are staffed by health care professionals and provide computer stations, books, brochures, videos, and CDs to help you find information and support on a variety of issues about cancer treatment and care.
- Patient Websites
Patients websites help friends and family members stay up-to-date on their loved ones' condition and write messages of support and encouragement.
- Pediatric Resource Program
- The Pediatric Resource Programs provides assistance to eligible families whose children are currently receiving treatment at Dana-Farber/Children’s Hospital Cancer Center.
The Dana-Farber pharmacy fills prescriptions for all pediatric and adult patients. Our pharmacists are an extension of the patient care team and work closely with your physicians to provide seamless, convenient, safe care.
- Recreational Resources
More than 1,200 Dana-Farber patients and their families have enjoyed free trips to baseball games, theater shows, museums, and other attractions this year through the Recreational Resources program.
- School Liaison Program
The School Liaison Program is for pediatric patients who are diagnosed with or have completed a treatment that involves the central nervous system. We provide consultation about the cognitive late effects of treatment to help parents understand and advocate for their child's learning needs.
- Sibling Program
- Dana-Farber's Sibling Program provides support to siblings and their families. Through high-level care and ongoing research, our unique program is committed to further exploring the impact of a cancer diagnosis on siblings and creating a better experience for all involved throughout the cancer journey.
- Spiritual Care
Through all stages of cancer treatment and survivorship, our Spiritual Care staff is available 24 hours a day to provide emotional and spiritual support for adults and pediatric patients and family members.
- Zakim Center for Integrative Therapies
Integrative therapies, also known as complementary therapies, range from acupuncture and massage to nutritional guidance and music therapy. Patients treated at the Zakim Center credit its services with easing nausea, improving circulation, and reducing pain, stress, and anxiety associated with cancer treatment.