(Chaplaincy Volunteer Program will begin in 2018)
Chaplain associate volunteers are an essential service within the Center for Spiritual Care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, providing spiritual and religious support to patients, families, and staff. Cancer can be a challenging and demanding experience,
and chaplain associate volunteers – along with staff chaplains – are an integral part of the health care team offering spiritual care.
Chaplain Associates assist patients and families in addressing many needs by the following:
· Respecting a person’s beliefs, regardless of religious or spiritual identity.
· Offering a caring, compassionate, and non-judgmental listening presence.
· Assisting in exploring hope, meaning, and purpose.
· Offering prayer and spiritual and religious rituals when desired.
· Obtaining spiritual and religious materials and resources.
· Making referrals to staff chaplains.
· Contacting community clergy when requested.
· Assisting in chapel services.
Application and Requirements
The position requires:
· Undergraduate degree in religious, spiritual care, health care studies or other related field, or a master’s degree in divinity or theological studies.
· Letter of good standing from a faith community.
· Chaplaincy internship, clinical pastoral education, or related spiritual care hospital experience. (If not, additional chaplaincy training may be available in the program.)
· Ability to offer spiritual care to people of all religious faith and no faith traditions, gender, sexual orientation, race, and ethnic backgrounds.
· Complete the Dana-Farber Chaplain Associate Training Program.
· Available 4-12 hours per week, with a minimum six-month commitment.
· Excellent interpersonal and computer skills.
· Meet health, safety, and background checks.
To begin the application process, download the Chaplain Associate Volunteer application and send with resume and letter of good standing to email@example.com. For more information call 617-632-3908 or
the Volunteer Department at 617-632-3307, firstname.lastname@example.org.