- At the American Society of Hematology's annual meeting, Dr. Nikhil Munshi presented results from a study of the antibody BHQ880, which targets DKK-1, a protein that inhibits bone formation and is overabundant in people with multiple myeloma.
Tags: Antibody, BasicResearch, MultipleMyeloma
- Dr. Charles Fuchs explains how aspirin can play a significant role in the fight against cancer.
- As reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, Oct. 25, Dana-Farber scientists found that aspirin therapy can extend the life of colorectal cancer patients whose tumors carry a mutation in a key gene, but it has no effect on patients who lack the mutation. Dr. Shuji Ogino says this is by far the best marker we’ve found for prediction of response to aspirin.
Tags: ColonCancer, Genetics
- A report suggests that aspirin use has the potential to increase pension liabilities by extending life spans. Dr. Charles Fuchs, who wasn't part of the report, said aspirin use may reduce the risk of cancer.
Tags: Prevention, PopulationScience
- Dana-Farber named the Boston Athletic Association as the 2012 recipient of the Sidney Farber Medical Research Award in recognition of its longstanding support of Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund.
Tags: Honors, JimmyFund
- Jimmy Fund Clinic patient Avalanna Routh, 6, of Merrimac, Mass., passed away on Sept. 26. Avalanna, who was known internationally for her love of Justin Bieber, generously shared her story locally and nationally, raising awareness worldwide about atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumors (AT/RT) and the need for greater research of this rare cancer.
Tags: ChildhoodCancer, JimmyFund, BrainTumors
- Dr. Deborah Schrag reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association that non-small cell lung cancer patients 65 years of age and older did not receive any survival benefit when Avastin was added to their standard chemotherapy. This finding counters an earlier study.
- Last year, six-year-old Avalanna Routh "married" her favorite guy, Justin Bieber, in a ceremony at the Jimmy Fund clinic. Yesterday, she shared cupcakes, played Candyland and talked music and baseball with her fantasy hubby in New York.
Showing 11-20 of 216 items