- Dr. Ilana M. Braun comments on a new analysis that finds within two years of a cancer diagnosis, depression in patients and their spouses tends to drop back to roughly the same levels as in the general population, but is replaced by anxiety.
Tags: BasicResearch, CopingWithCancer
- Dr. Richard Stone joined 22 other specialists in sending a letter calling on the FDA to speed up the process allowing patients to use the leukemia drug Iclusig.
- More than 30,000 people in Massachusetts work directly in biomedical research largely due to grants from the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Chuck Stiles is concerned for the future generation of researchers.
- Dr. Monica Bertagnolli, chair of the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, remarked that efficiency has increased concerning patients entering clinical trials.
- At the American Society of Hematology's annual meeting, Dr. Nikhil Munshi presented results from a study of the antibody BHQ880, which targets DKK-1, a protein that inhibits bone formation and is overabundant in people with multiple myeloma.
Tags: Antibody, BasicResearch, MultipleMyeloma
- Dr. Charles Fuchs explains how aspirin can play a significant role in the fight against cancer.
- As reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, Oct. 25, Dana-Farber scientists found that aspirin therapy can extend the life of colorectal cancer patients whose tumors carry a mutation in a key gene, but it has no effect on patients who lack the mutation. Dr. Shuji Ogino says this is by far the best marker we’ve found for prediction of response to aspirin.
Tags: ColonCancer, Genetics
- A report suggests that aspirin use has the potential to increase pension liabilities by extending life spans. Dr. Charles Fuchs, who wasn't part of the report, said aspirin use may reduce the risk of cancer.
Tags: Prevention, PopulationScience
- A study led by Reiko Nishihara, PhD, shows regular aspirin use is associated with a lower risk of developing colorectal cancer, but only cancers without mutations in the BRAF oncogene.
Tags: BasicResearch, ColonCancer
Showing 21-30 of 358 items