News tagged ‘BreastCancer’ clear
- Dr. Andrea Richardson and colleagues have identified a genetic marker that may predict which aggressive "triple negative" breast cancers and certain ovarian cancers will likely respond to platinum-based chemotherapies.
Tags: BreastCancer, Genomics, OvarianCancer, GynecologicCancers
- Extending tamoxifen treatment to 10 years significantly improved a women's chances of surviving breast cancer and reduced the risk of the cancer coming back, a new study shows. Dr. Eric Winer said while only about 10 percent of women in the study were premenopausal, the benefits were similar to those for women after menopause, indicating that a new long-term strategy is now an option for them. (Full article requires a subscription)
Tags: BreastCancer, Hormones, Prevention
- Dr. Eric Winer comments on the FDA's recent approval of the breast cancer drug Kadcyla. He says clinical trials show that the drug is both highly effective and has few side effects.
- Dr. Ursula Matulonis commented on a study that found women with BRCA-1 mutations can reduce their risk of breast and ovarian cancer if they get their ovaries removed by age 35.
Tags: BreastCancer, OvarianCancer, Genetics
- Dr. Mehra Golshan said Angelina Jolie's decision to get a double mastectomy might help save lives by raising awareness about the need for genetic testing.
Tags: BreastCancer, Genetics
- "We've definitely had more women coming in to discuss their family history and whether genetic testing is appropriate after they heard about Angelina Jolie" said Dr. Huma Rana, a geneticist at the Center for Cancer Genetics and Prevention at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
Tags: BreastCancer, Prevention
- For women 40 and older, the American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms, but Dr. Ann Partridge says mammograms don't work as well for young women, who have denser breasts.
- Dr. Javid Moslehi wrote in an editorial that cardiac risk factors should be assessed when a breast cancer patient starts radiation treatment and continued throughout survivorship.
Tags: BreastCancer, Radiation
Showing 21-30 of 59 items