News tagged ‘BasicResearch’ clear
- Dr. George Demetri comments on a new blood test that reveals more of the gene mutations that sustain certain digestive-tract tumors than a DNA analysis of a traditional tumor biopsy.
- At the AACR Annual Meeting 2013, George Demetri, MD, reported in a study that a simple blood sample revealed more cancer-causing mutations than a tumor biopsy alone.
- Dr. Wayne A. Marasco is researching ways to create a universal flu vaccine that could fight a variety of flu strains. The goal is for the vaccine to work for multiple years and eliminate the need for annual shots.
Tags: BasicResearch, Influenza
- Glenn Dranoff, MD, was named to Stand Up to Cancer's latest research "dream team," which will focus on cancer immunology. Dana-Farber researchers will receive $1.5 million over three years to help support the study of tissue and blood samples from patients who are receiving specific experimental treatments.
Tags: BasicResearch, Grants
- At the American Society of Hematology's annual meeting, Dr. Nikhil Munshi presented results from a study of the antibody BHQ880, which targets DKK-1, a protein that inhibits bone formation and is overabundant in people with multiple myeloma.
Tags: Antibody, BasicResearch, MultipleMyeloma
- Executives at several Massachusetts hospitals, including Dana-Farber, have appealed to the Massachusetts Congressional delegation to adopt deficit reduction strategies that preserve federal funding for scientific research.
Tags: BasicResearch, Funding
- A study led by Dr. Jane Weeks found that many patients with advanced lung or colon cancer misunderstood the purpose of their chemotherapy treatment. Dr. Weeks said that for these patients to make an informed treatment choice, they need to know that chemotherapy is not curative in most cases.
Tags: BasicResearch, EndOfLife