News tagged ‘Genetics’ clear
- As reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, Oct. 25, Dana-Farber scientists found that aspirin therapy can extend the life of colorectal cancer patients whose tumors carry a mutation in a key gene, but it has no effect on patients who lack the mutation. Dr. Shuji Ogino says this is by far the best marker we’ve found for prediction of response to aspirin.
Tags: ColonCancer, Genetics
- Researchers, including Dr. Matthew Meyerson and Dr. Bruce Johnson of Dana-Farber, found from a large study of the genetics of a common lung cancer, that more than half the tumors from that cancer have mutations that can be treated by drugs that are being developed or can be easily developed. (Full article requires a subscription)
Tags: BasicResearch, LungCancer, Genetics
- Dr. Levi Garraway is studying cancer’s genetic features as part of a larger movement toward personalized or precision medicine, which aims to tailor disease prevention and treatment to an individual patient.
Tags: BasicResearch, Genetics
- Genetic testing can help clinicians assess a patient's risk for various diseases and to develop more effective treatment plans. Dana-Farber currently offers lung cancer patients six genetic tests and soon will test for more than 500 cancer-causing gene defects. As more genetic tests become available, some insurers and medical ethicists are questioning the value of such tests.
Tags: LungCancer, Genetics
- Three pharmaceutical companies are poised to test whether new drugs can work against a wide range of cancers, including those that are rare, such as liposarcoma, a cancer of the fat cells. According to Dr. Andrew J. Wagner, liposarcoma tumors can be very large and often start at the back of a patient's belly, where they can go unnoticed.
Tags: chemotherapy, Genetics
- Researchers say they are achieving success in curing the genetic defect that causes some children to be born without immune defenses, according to Dr. David Williams from Dana-Farber/Boston Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders Center.
Tags: ImmuneSystem, Genetics