News tagged ‘Leukemia’ clear
- In a major advance in the care of patients with leukemia and other blood disorders, physicians at Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center have begun using Rapid Heme Panel, a high-tech genetic test that provides, within a matter of days, an unprecedented amount of critical information to aid the choice of treatment.
Tags: StemCellTransplant, TranslationalResearch, Leukemia
- A team of researchers led by Dana-Farber Cancer Institute investigators has uncovered a connection between people with Down syndrome and having a heightened risk of developing acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) during childhood.
Tags: BasicResearch, Leukemia
- A normal enzyme called SYK pairs with FLT3, the most commonly mutated enzyme found in acute myelogenous leukemia, to promote progression of the cancer and its resistance to treatment with FLT3-blocking drugs, which may explain relatively poor results in clinical studies. In a mouse model, treatment with a combination of drugs to inhibit the two enzymes was more effective than treatment with either drug alone.
Tags: chemotherapy, BasicResearch, ChildhoodCancer, Leukemia
- Studies in zebrafish show that a 50-year-old antipsychotic medication can actively combat the cells of a difficult-to-treat form of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
- Children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), the most common form of pediatric cancer, can safely receive intravenous infusions of a reformulated mainstay of chemotherapy that has been delivered via painful intramuscular injection for more than 40 years, research suggests.
Tags: chemotherapy, ChildhoodCancer, Leukemia
- Dana-Farber/Boston Children's researchers reported promising outcomes data for the first group of boys with X-linked severe combined immunodeficiency syndrome (SCID-X1), a fatal genetic immunodeficiency also known as "bubble boy" disease, who were treated in an international clinical study of a new form of gene therapy.
Tags: ChildhoodCancer, ImmuneSystem, Genetics, Leukemia
- Dana-Farber scientists report in the Journal of Clinical Investigation they have developed a tumor vaccine based on the patient’s tumor to create a strong and selective immune response in some chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients.
Tags: ImmuneSystem, Leukemia
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute scientists provide the first statistically-based guidelines for determining whether stem cell transplant is appropriate for patients older than 60 with myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS)
Tags: StemCellTransplant, Leukemia
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Dana-Farber joined together to establish the Blood Cancer Research Partnership, an innovative program bringing together a network of sites for clinical trial testing of blood cancer therapies in community oncology settings across the country.
Tags: Leukemia, Lymphoma
- Dana-Farber investigators led a phase 1 trial in which a new oral targeted drug, idelalisib, (GS-1101), showed the potential to stave off the need for additional treatments for relapsed or treatment-resistant CLL.