News tagged ‘Melanoma’ clear
- It's still possible to get too much sun exposure in winter. Dana-Farber's skin cancer specialists explain the dangers and offer sun safety tips to help you protect your skin while enjoying outdoor winter activities.
Tags: Melanoma, Prevention, SkinCancer
- ABC News' Sam Donaldson shared his experience as a melanoma patient during his keynote speech at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Joint Visiting Committee Symposium dinner Nov. 15.
- Scientists at Dana-Farber demonstrate that it’s possible, early in a tumor’s growth, to identify cancer genes that endow the tumor with the ability to metastasize. This is an important step toward developing prognostic tests for identifying early-stage tumors that are likely to spread and can be treated accordingly.
Tags: BasicResearch, Melanoma
- A duo of drugs can be safely administered and are potentially more effective than either drug alone for advanced, inoperable melanomas, according to a phase I clinical trial led by Dana-Farber investigators.
- Dana-Farber scientists have
developed a technique that can cause white blood cells trained to attack tumors
to survive in patients’ bloodstreams for well over a year, and, in some cases,
without the need of other, highly toxic treatments.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the use of ipilimumab for
the treatment of previously treated metastatic melanoma. It is the
first drug approved for metastatic, or advanced, melanoma in more than a
- The use of monoclonal antibodies to activate an immune-system response
to abnormal cells resulted in a significant increase in survival time in
patients with metastatic melanoma, report Dana-Farber researchers.
Tags: ImmuneSystem, Melanoma, TranslationalResearch
- Sunscreen is an important first line of protection, but can lose effectiveness over time, warn Dana-Farber's melanoma experts.
- As the weather grows warmer, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute physicians and nurses are encouraging people to be aware of the dangers of overexposure to the sun and to practice sun safety
Tags: Melanoma, Prevention
Showing 11-20 of 24 items