News tagged ‘Melanoma’ clear
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the use of ipilimumab for
the treatment of previously treated metastatic melanoma. It is the
first drug approved for metastatic, or advanced, melanoma in more than a
- The use of monoclonal antibodies to activate an immune-system response
to abnormal cells resulted in a significant increase in survival time in
patients with metastatic melanoma, report Dana-Farber researchers.
Tags: ImmuneSystem, Melanoma, TranslationalResearch
- Sunscreen is an important first line of protection, but can lose effectiveness over time, warn Dana-Farber's melanoma experts.
- As the weather grows warmer, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
physicians and nurses are encouraging people to be aware of the dangers
of overexposure to the sun and to practice sun safety
Tags: Melanoma, Prevention
- In a demonstration that even some of the most hard-to-treat
tumors may one day succumb to therapies aimed at molecular "weak
points," researchers at Dana-Farber report the first instance in which
metastatic melanoma has been driven into remission by a targeted
Tags: Melanoma, TargetedTherapy
- One of the shortcomings of a therapy that uses millions of
identical antibodies to boost the immune system's attack on cancer cells
is that many patients whose tumors recede in response to the treatment
also experience serious inflammatory problems, such as severe diarrhea
and rashes. In a new study, a team led by Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
researchers shows that giving periodic infusions of such "monoclonal"
antibodies to patients who have received a widely used cancer vaccine
unleashes a strong immune response to tumors, with less-harsh side
Tags: Melanoma, OvarianCancer, TargetedTherapy
- A protein known as the "master watchman of the genome" for its ability to guard against cancer-causing DNA damage has been found to provide an entirely different level of cancer protection: By prompting the skin to tan in response to ultraviolet light from the sun, it deters the development of melanoma skin cancer, the fastest-increasing form of cancer in the world
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute researchers have developed a powerful
method for charting the positions of key gene-regulating molecules
called nucleosomes throughout the human genome.
Tags: Genomics, Melanoma
Showing 11-19 of 19 items