News tagged ‘BasicResearch’ clear
- According to new research, a technique for reading the genetic abnormalities in patient tumors with a simple blood test has passed a critical test of accuracy and reliability.
- Scientists at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have identified natural human antibodies against the virus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), a step toward developing treatments for the newly emerging and often-fatal disease.
Tags: Antibody, BasicResearch
- A team of researchers led by Dana-Farber Cancer Institute investigators has uncovered a connection between people with Down syndrome and having a heightened risk of developing acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) during childhood.
Tags: BasicResearch, Leukemia
- A normal enzyme called SYK pairs with FLT3, the most commonly mutated enzyme found in acute myelogenous leukemia, to promote progression of the cancer and its resistance to treatment with FLT3-blocking drugs, which may explain relatively poor results in clinical studies. In a mouse model, treatment with a combination of drugs to inhibit the two enzymes was more effective than treatment with either drug alone.
Tags: chemotherapy, BasicResearch, ChildhoodCancer, Leukemia
- "Beige" fat cells found in healthy subcutaneous fat play a critical role in protecting the body against the disease risks of obesity in mice, report researchers at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, who say their study findings may have implications for therapy of obesity-related illness in humans.
- The most comprehensive genetic study to date of the blood cancer multiple myeloma has revealed that the genetic landscape of the disease may be more complicated than previously thought.
Tags: BasicResearch, MultipleMyeloma, Genetics
- Ludwig Cancer Research, on behalf of its founder, Daniel K. Ludwig, has given Harvard Medical School $90 million to spur innovative scientific inquiry and discovery in a newly expanded center. The Ludwig Center at Harvard will be co-directed by Joan Brugge, PhD, of Harvard Medical School and George Demetri, MD, of Dana-Farber.
Tags: BasicResearch, Development
- Dana-Farber researchers and colleagues completed a comprehensive genomic analysis of cervical cancer, identifying recurrent genetic mutations not previously found and shedding light on the role human papillomavirus (HPV) plays in the development of the disease.
Tags: BasicResearch, CervicalCancer, Genomics
- Dana-Farber scientists have discovered the mechanism behind thalidomide's cancer-killing properties, which could aid development of safer versions and a new class of cancer drugs.
Tags: BasicResearch, MultipleMyeloma, Lymphoma
- Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center researchers receive six Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) grants, which support research that moves from the laboratory to the clinic.
Tags: BasicResearch, Grants
Showing 11-20 of 123 items