News tagged ‘BasicResearch’ clear
- William G. Kaelin, Jr., MD, received the 2012 American Society for Clinical Investigation’s Stanley J. Korsmeyer Award in recognition of his contributions to the molecular understanding of cellular oxygen sensing and cellular adaptation to hypoxia.
Tags: BasicResearch, Honors
- Researchers at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have found a
previously unknown molecular pathway in mice that spurs the growth of
new blood vessels when body parts are jeopardized by poor circulation.
- Dana-Farber scientists identify a protein that is a cause of cachexia, a severe wasting of fat and muscle in half of all cancer patients, and show that blocking the protein in mice can prevent or halt the debilitating condition.
- Two Dana-Farber researchers have been given an award for young investigators who are advancing the field of cancer research. Scott Armstrong, MD, PhD, is being recognized for achievements in cancer stem cell research and genomics; Kornelia Polyak, MD, PhD, for her pioneering discoveries in breast tissue.
Tags: BasicResearch, Honors, TranslationalResearch
- According to new research, a technique for reading the genetic abnormalities in patient tumors with a simple blood test has passed a critical test of accuracy and reliability.
- In one of the largest breast cancer sequencing efforts to date, scientists from Dana-Farber and their colleagues have discovered surprising alterations in genes that were not previously associated with breast cancer.
Tags: BasicResearch, BreastCancer, Genomics
- A Dana-Farber and Harvard Medical School study has found that a protein with well-documented ties to cancer also plays a crucial role in memory formation in the brain, and it may be linked to Alzheimer's disease.
- When a form of cancer that begins in the milk ducts of the breast
invades neighboring tissue to spread to other parts of the body, the
cause lies not in the tumor cells themselves but in a group of abnormal
surrounding cells that cause the walls of the duct to deteriorate like a
rusty pipe, according to a new study led by Dana-Farber Cancer
Tags: BasicResearch, BreastCancer
- A combination of chemotherapies for colon cancer decreases recurrence
for patients under 70, but not for those who are older, according to
Mayo Clinic and Dana-Farber scientists.
Tags: chemotherapy, BasicResearch, ColonCancer
Showing 11-20 of 147 items