News tagged ‘Melanoma’ clear
- A clinical trial for advanced melanoma caused growths to recede or stabilize in half of the participants by blocking a protein interaction that prevents T cells from attacking cancerous cells, reports lead author Stephen Hodi, MD.
Tags: ImmuneSystem, Melanoma
- Scientists from Dana-Farber and the Broad Institute have sequenced 25 melanoma tumors and confirmed the long-held suspicion that chronic sun exposure plays a role in skin cancer.
Tags: Genomics, Melanoma
- It's still possible to get too much sun exposure in winter. Dana-Farber's skin cancer specialists explain the dangers and offer sun safety tips to help you protect your skin while enjoying outdoor winter activities.
Tags: Melanoma, Prevention, SkinCancer
- ABC News' Sam Donaldson shared his experience as a melanoma patient during his keynote speech at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Joint Visiting Committee Symposium dinner Nov. 15.
- Scientists at Dana-Farber demonstrate that it’s possible, early in a tumor’s growth, to identify cancer genes that endow the tumor with the ability to metastasize. This is an important step toward developing prognostic tests for identifying early-stage tumors that are likely to spread and can be treated accordingly.
Tags: BasicResearch, Melanoma
- A duo of drugs can be safely administered and are potentially more effective than either drug alone for advanced, inoperable melanomas, according to a phase I clinical trial led by Dana-Farber investigators.
- Dana-Farber scientists have
developed a technique that can cause white blood cells trained to attack tumors
to survive in patients’ bloodstreams for well over a year, and, in some cases,
without the need of other, highly toxic treatments.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the use of ipilimumab for
the treatment of previously treated metastatic melanoma. It is the
first drug approved for metastatic, or advanced, melanoma in more than a
- The use of monoclonal antibodies to activate an immune-system response
to abnormal cells resulted in a significant increase in survival time in
patients with metastatic melanoma, report Dana-Farber researchers.
Tags: ImmuneSystem, Melanoma, TranslationalResearch
Showing 11-20 of 26 items