- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute scientist Bruce Spiegelman, PhD, who discovered a hormone linked to some of the positive benefits of exercise, reports he has confirmed the hormone — named irisin — is produced in humans and increases during exercise.
Tags: Exercise, Hormones
- Men with metastatic, hormone-sensitive prostate cancer gained more than a year of survival when they received both hormone-blocking medications and chemotherapy right after diagnosis, rather than delaying the chemo until the cancer worsened, according to a study led by Dana-Farber’s Christopher Sweeney published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Tags: chemotherapy, ProstateCancer
- The Dana-Farber community is saddened by the death of Carolyn Mary Kaelin, MD, MPH, FACS, of Boston, MA, who died on July 28, surrounded by loved ones. A gifted and compassionate breast cancer surgeon, Dr. Kaelin was a surgical oncologist in the Women's Cancers Program at Dana-Farber and director of the Breast Clinic at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
- Study led by Dr. Alexi Wright finds intraperitoneal chemotherapy substantially improves survival of ovarian cancer patients, but that many women who could benefit are not receiving the treatment.
Tags: chemotherapy, OvarianCancer
- Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center has been named the best for cancer care in New England for the 15th straight year and fourth overall in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
- Dana-Farber's David Weinstock, MD, and colleagues report that a novel compound stops B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia tumor cell growth in pre-clinical studies; approach may be effective in other cancers as well.
Tags: BasicResearch, Leukemia
- More than two-thirds of adolescents and young adults dying of cancer utilized one or more aggressive interventions in the last month of life, according to a retrospective study published in JAMA Oncology. The findings suggest the need for more research into whether patients have been adequately supported to contemplate their end-of-life options or whether the pattern reflects their well-considered wishes.
Tags: EndOfLife, PopulationScience
- The Department of Cancer Immunology and AIDS at Dana-Farber is changing its name to the Department of Cancer Immunology and Virology.
Tags: BasicResearch, Immunotherapy
- Before you fire up the backyard grill this summer, review these tips from Dana-Farber Cancer Institute experts to help reduce your exposure to potentially cancer causing chemicals.
Tags: Nutrition, Prevention
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Eli Lilly and Company announced a multiyear collaboration to research new medicines under development to fight cancer.
Tags: BasicResearch, Partnerships
Showing 21-30 of 633 items