News tagged ‘chemotherapy’ clear
- Men with metastatic, hormone-sensitive prostate cancer gained more than a year of survival when they received both hormone-blocking medications and chemotherapy right after diagnosis, rather than delaying the chemo until the cancer worsened, according to a study led by Dana-Farber’s Christopher Sweeney published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Tags: chemotherapy, ProstateCancer
- Treatment with three "targeted" cancer drugs has been linked to a slightly elevated chance of fatal side effects, according to a new analysis led by scientists at Dana-Farber. These risks remain low, but they should be factored in when developing patients’ treatment plans.
Tags: chemotherapy, PatientEducation, PatientSafety, TargetedTherapy
- Terminal cancer patients who receive chemotherapy in the last months of their lives are less likely to die where they want and are more likely to undergo invasive medical procedures than those who do not receive chemotherapy.
Tags: chemotherapy, EndOfLife
- Researchers report promising outcomes from a clinical trial with patients with a rare form of bone marrow failure who received a hematopoietic stem cell transplant after pre-treatment with immunosuppressive drugs only. This is the first trial reporting successful transplant in dyskeratosis congenita (DC) patients without the use of any radiation or conventional cytotoxic chemotherapy beforehand.
Tags: chemotherapy, StemCellTransplant
- The vast majority of advanced colon cancer patients in a clinical trial
were not concerned about the cost of prescription drugs, according to a
study led by Dana-Farber researchers.
Tags: chemotherapy, ColonCancer
- A normal enzyme called SYK pairs with FLT3, the most commonly mutated enzyme found in acute myelogenous leukemia, to promote progression of the cancer and its resistance to treatment with FLT3-blocking drugs, which may explain relatively poor results in clinical studies. In a mouse model, treatment with a combination of drugs to inhibit the two enzymes was more effective than treatment with either drug alone.
Tags: chemotherapy, BasicResearch, ChildhoodCancer, Leukemia
- A targeted drug that reduces blood flow to tumors prolonged the survival of patients with advanced stomach cancer after standard treatments failed, according to results of large multicenter clinical trial led by scientists at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
Tags: chemotherapy, TargetedTherapy
- Researchers at Dana-Farber/Children's Hospital Cancer Center have created a peptide that overcomes drug resistance and reactivates programmed cell death in recurrent blood cancers.
Tags: chemotherapy, DrugResistance, Leukemia, Lymphoma
- Children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), the most common form of pediatric cancer, can safely receive intravenous infusions of a reformulated mainstay of chemotherapy that has been delivered via painful intramuscular injection for more than 40 years, research suggests.
Tags: chemotherapy, ChildhoodCancer, Leukemia