A place to learn and build connections
The mission of Parents Together is to provide a space for parents to:
- Create a toolbox of educational and supportive resources to help you manage the challenges a family faces after their child's diagnosis.
- Build connections with other parents who are experiencing similar struggles.
A childhood illness affects the whole family. Many parents find themselves overwhelmed and uncertain about how to navigate treatment and the changes it will bring. They may worry about how to best care for their child while still maintaining routines
at home and caring for their other children, too.
It's common to feel isolated or lost during this challenging time. Our social workers and psychologists in Pediatric Psychosocial Oncology are here to help you manage many of these feelings
and develop strategies for your whole family to get through treatment.
Parents Together helps parents of children treated at Dana-Farber/Boston Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders Center cope with treatment by providing resources and guidance in areas such as:
- Managing treatment side effects
- Helping your child take their medications
- Improving family communication
- Supporting siblings
- Accessing support for your child's education
Coping with COVID-19 - downloadable tip sheets
COVID-19 Resource List
Mindfulness Activities with Children and Adults
Some Simple Ways to Bring a Bit of Calm into the Chaos
Opportunities for online support and education
Several online organizations offer opportunities for parents to support one another through groups, one-on-one peer matching, and chat features. Many of these organizations also offer additional opportunities for education about your child’s diagnosis,
treatment, and emotional coping. While this is certainly not an exhaustive list, we encourage you to check out the opportunities for support and education through the following organizations:
Our group series
The group series offers parents an opportunity to connect with others who can relate to what they are going through.
Recent session topics include:
- Bringing a Bit of Calm into Chaos: Mindfulness Strategies for Parents
- Fostering Good Nutrition During Treatment: Creative Tips
- Tips and Tools for Helping Your Child Take Their Medications
- Taking Care of Yourself When Your Child Is Sick
- Helping Your Child Get a Good Night's Sleep
Stay tuned for details and more information about upcoming sessions in 2020. You can also check the Dana-Farber Events Calendar for additional programs that may be of interest.
Downloadable tip sheets for patients, families, and caregivers
Fostering Good Nutrition During Treatment
Limit Setting and Behavioral Expectations When Your Child is Sick
Making the Most of Your Child’s Medical Appointment
Managing Roadblocks for Your Child’s Education
Supporting Your Child During Medical Procedures
Taking Care of Yourself When Your Child is Sick
Tips and Tools for Helping Your Child Take Their Medication
For more information about Parents Together, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.