(Chaplaincy Volunteer Program will begin in 2018)
Chaplain associate volunteers are an essential service within the Center for Spiritual Care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, providing spiritual and religious support to patients, families, and staff. Cancer can be a challenging and demanding experience, and chaplain associate volunteers — along with staff chaplains — are an integral part of the health care team offering spiritual care.
Chaplain Associates assist patients and families in addressing many needs by the following:
- Respecting a person’s beliefs, regardless of religious or spiritual identity.
- Offering a caring, compassionate, and non-judgmental listening presence.
- Assisting in exploring hope, meaning, and purpose.
- Offering prayer and spiritual and religious rituals when desired.
- Obtaining spiritual and religious materials and resources.
- Making referrals to staff chaplains.
- Contacting community clergy when requested.
- Assisting in chapel services.
Application and Requirements
The position requires:
- Undergraduate degree in religious, spiritual care, health care studies or other related field, or a master’s degree in divinity or theological studies.
- Letter of good standing from a faith community.
- Chaplaincy internship, clinical pastoral education, or related spiritual care hospital experience. (If not, additional chaplaincy training may be available in the program.)
- Ability to offer spiritual care to people of all religious faith and no faith traditions, gender, sexual orientation, race, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Complete the Dana-Farber Chaplain Associate Training Program.
- Available 4-12 hours per week, with a minimum six-month commitment.
- Excellent interpersonal and computer skills.
- Meet health, safety, and background checks.
To begin the application process, download the Chaplain Associate Volunteer application and send with resume and letter of good standing to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information call 617-632-3908 or
the Volunteer Department at 617-632-3307, email@example.com.