If you are 70½ or older, you can make a tax-free gift to Dana-Farber directly from your individual retirement account (IRA). This is called a qualified charitable distribution (QCD).
The advantages of a QCD
- Tax benefits: A charitable gift transferred from your IRA directly to Dana-Farber will not be taxed and can satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD), maximizing benefits to both you and Dana-Farber.
- Ease: You do not need an attorney to make this gift; simply contact your financial advisor.
- Flexibility: An IRA gift can be directed to unrestricted support for Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund’s lifesaving mission or a specific area.
The requirements for an IRA gift
- Be age 70½ or older
- Give your required minimum distribution, up to $100,000, from your IRA per year
- Transfer funds directly from a traditional or rollover IRA to Dana-Farber
Please note: Gifts from an IRA cannot be accepted when goods or services from the charity are provided.
- Contact your IRA administrator, and then call Dana-Farber’s Philanthropy Office at 617-632-6099 to share your intentions.
- Download Dana-Farber's sample distribution letter to customize and share with your IRA administrator or financial
Please call Dana-Farber's Philanthropy office at 617-632-6099, or email Kimberly Mougenel.
Are you a financial advisor?
If your clients are looking to make a gift through their IRA, please note Dana-Farber’s tax ID number is 04-2263040. Please see our Resources for Advisors for more