When you come to Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center for your initial consultation, our surgeons will review treatment options with you in cooperation with your referring physician. During your initial visit, our surgeons will talk to you about:
- The impact of any underlying medical problems you may have, and how this might affect planning for surgery
- Risks of surgery and the best ways to avoid them
- Your recovery in detail, including restrictions on certain activities, when you can return to work, and what preparations you should make for surgery
Before you come to visit us, it's a good idea to write down your questions. Many patients forget what they wanted to ask the doctor and having a list may help.
Read more suggestions to help you prepare for your visit.
For a patient with cancer, the goal of surgery is to remove the tumor, when appropriate. When the tumor cannot be removed completely, surgery can ease pain or remove obstructions that the tumor causes.
For some patients, surgery is the only form of treatment. For others, we may recommend surgery in combination with radiation therapy or chemotherapy.
Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center's expert surgeons specialize in surgical procedures for patients with the following diseases:
- Breast cancer and benign breast disorders
- Gastrointestinal tumors, including colon, rectal, biliary,
liver, neuroendocrine, gastric, esophageal, and pancreatic cancers
- Melanoma and skin cancers
- Head and neck cancers, including thyroid cancer
- Thoracic (lung) malignancies, including lung cancer and mesothelioma
- Genitourinary tumors, including prostate cancer, bladder cancer, kidney cancer,
and adrenal tumors
- Gynecologic malignancies, including ovarian, uterine, and cervical cancers
- Brain and spinal cord tumors
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Should the need arise, the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery team at Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center comprises recognized leaders in plastic and reconstructive surgery for cancer patients.
Our team includes plastic surgeons and other health care experts, and we work closely with each patient to address their individual needs.
Our plastic and reconstructive surgeons are experts in a wide range of procedures in the field of plastic surgery. All our surgeons are faculty members of Harvard Medical School, and are board-certified by the American Boards of Surgery, Plastic Surgery,
and General Surgery.
Our team's specialization in plastic and reconstructive procedures includes these diseases:
- Breast cancer
- Skin cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Pelvic cancer
Learn more about our practice of plastic surgery.
After Your Surgery
Once your treatment is completed, Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center offers a full range of after-care services, such as nutrition counseling,
social work assistance, support groups and seminars,
a robust survivorship program, speech and swallow therapies, and much more.