Our Specialists: Pioneering New Paths to Treatment
Neuroendocrine and carcinoid tumors are challenging diseases. At the Neuroendocrine and Carcinoid Tumors Program, our specialists are making breakthrough discoveries in every discipline:
- Our medical oncologists are improving the use of chemotherapy and targeted agents through clinical trials and new treatment approaches, such as with therapies that harness the immune system to fight the cancer.
- Our surgeons offer the full range of advanced surgery, and are pioneering the newest surgical approaches, including laparoscopic and robotic surgeries, and operations to remove larger tumors that more intimately involve surrounding blood vessels.
- Our radiologists are pioneering the use of imaging tests to allow optimal diagnosis and treatment of patients with neuroendocrine and carcinoid tumors.
- Our gastroenterologists are identifying new treatment techniques.
- Our pathologists work closely with surgeons and endoscopists to evaluate tissue samples in real-time, leading to faster, more accurate diagnoses.
- Our radiation oncologists are discovering better combinations of radiation and systemic therapies, including newer targeted agents. They are pioneering stereotactic radiation therapy to treat localized tumors with less damage to surrounding tissues.
- Our endoscopists are using innovative advanced endoscopic techniques to evaluate tumors and relieve obstructions.
- Our scientists are working to understand the fundamental biology of these cancers to identify new ways to prevent and treat these diseases in our patients.