Practical and Legal Matters
For cancer patients, there are many practical as well as legal matters to become familiar with. This section addresses a variety of these issues, including your rights and responsibilities as a patient, how Dana-Farber maintains privacy and confidentiality, our non-discrimination policy, how patients can obtain medical records, how to designate a health care proxy, and more.
- Patient Rights & Responsibilities: As a patient of Dana-Farber, or as the parent or guardian of a minor patient, we want you to know the rights you have under federal and Massachusetts state law.
- Health Care Proxy: A health care proxy is a person you trust who can speak for you if you cannot make medical decisions on your own. By appointing a health care proxy, you can make sure health care providers follow your wishes.
- Medical Records: The Health Information Services (HIS) department maintains your medical record. We are dedicated to keeping your health information confidential and secure in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations. There are several ways to obtain a copy of your medical record.
- Dana-Farber's Compliance Program: Our Compliance Team supports the Institute's mission to provide expert, compassionate care to children and adults with cancer and works to ensure that Dana-Farber meets the highest standards of ethical and business conduct.
- Disability Claims and Family Medical Leave Act: If you need to take a leave of absence from your place of work due to your medical condition or to assist a family member with their medical condition, Dana-Farber staff will assist you with filing a disability claim from an insurance provider or with completing paperwork for the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Non-Discrimination Notice: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute complies with all applicable federal and state civil rights laws and does not discriminate against any individual protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Privacy and Confidentiality: Dana-Farber respects your privacy while giving you the very best care. Learn more about our practices to ensure patient privacy and confidentiality.