As a cancer patient, you may be at risk for experiencing treatment-related complications in the mouth. Our oral medicine experts will work closely with you and your care team to help you maintain optimal oral health, and minimize the risk of developing oral problems. The Oral Medicine and Oral Oncology clinical team is available before, during, and after cancer treatment to ensure that you remain healthy and comfortable throughout your treatment and beyond.
The Oral Medicine and Oral Oncology service at Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center provides comprehensive oral health care services for cancer patients and cancer survivors. Maintaining good oral health and function throughout treatment and after completion of cancer care is important for your overall health and well-being.
Our doctors are trained and board-certified in oral medicine, and have expertise in the diagnosis and management of oral complications that can occur in cancer patients, including dental and non-dental conditions. We provide personalized care taking into consideration your cancer diagnosis and treatment, as well as individual risk factors. As part of the comprehensive care team, experts in oral medicine are available throughout your care to ensure optimal oral health, function, and well-being.
We offer the following clinical services:
- Dental screening program for patients scheduled to receive head and neck radiation therapy, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, and antiresorptive (bone-strengthening) therapies.
- Management of oral complications of cancer therapy, including dry mouth, mucositis (mouth sores), infections, jaw osteonecrosis, graft-versus-host disease, and other conditions.
- Patient education and counseling that is personalized and tailored to your specific risks and needs.
- Survivorship and long-term follow-up programs for patients at increased risk for developing late oral complications.
Our Treatment Approach
Resources for Patients
To help you know what to expect — and navigate through your preparation, treatment and follow-up care — we encourage you to download and review the appropriate Teaching Sheet(s) below:
- Oral Candidiasis Teaching Sheet
- Oral Mucositis Teaching Sheet
- Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ) Teaching Sheet
- Oral Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease Teaching Sheet
- Xerostomia and Hyposalivation ("dry mouth") Teaching Sheet
- Oral Leukoplakia Teaching Sheet
- Dental Evaluation Prior to Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT)
Resources for Dentists and Other Dental Professionals
These guidelines are designed to help dentists and other dental professionals prepare a patient for treatment at Dana-Farber. Good oral health may reduce complications during and after treatment, so please download and review the appropriate guidelines.
- Dental Guidelines for Patients Who May Need Radiation Therapy to the Head and Neck Area
- Dental Guidelines for Patients Who Have or Are at Risk for Medication-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (MRONJ)
- Dental Clearance Program for Patients Who Are Scheduled for Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT)