The Cancer Diagnostic Service at Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center can expedite a diagnosis in patients that present with signs or symptoms of cancer and where the appropriate next steps are unclear.
Our service provides an efficient path to reach a timely diagnosis and avoid unnecessary testing and delays in treatment. The physicians at the Cancer Diagnostic Service will:
- Thoroughly review patient medical history and records to ensure that they are appropriate for this service
- Promptly schedule appointments
- Conduct a comprehensive diagnostic workup with input from consulting oncologists
- Provide a detailed report to the referring physician regarding findings and next steps
- Quickly connect patients to the appropriate cancer specialist(s) at Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center, if required
At Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center, we are committed to scheduling patients as soon as possible. Patients are scheduled within five business days of referral to the Cancer Diagnostic Service. Once an appointment is scheduled, our practice assistant works with patients to obtain medical records and, in some cases, to pre-arrange diagnostic tests that are likely to be required.
During a patient visit, we may order additional diagnostic studies, such as an endoscopy, tissue biopsy, and advanced diagnostic imaging, including an MRI, CT, PET scan, or bone scan.
Regardless of the outcome, we will provide a report to the referring physician with the outcome of the assessment. If a cancer diagnosis is confirmed, we will assist in scheduling an appointment with the appropriate cancer specialist at Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center, as requested.