NECS to be the first and only Affiliate Member of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
New England Cancer Specialists has become an Affiliate Member of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, it was announced today. Affiliate Membership reflects a demonstrated commitment to excellence by meeting a wide array of standards and best practices in oncology care. While New England Cancer Specialists is the first physician practice to become an Affiliate Member of Dana-Farber, the two organizations have a long history of collaboration going back more than 30 years.
The enhanced membership ensures continued benefits for Maine and New Hampshire cancer patients. Patients will have access to the latest and most effective evidence-based practices and standards in cancer treatment and research. As a top five hospital in the nation for cancer care according to U.S. News and World Report, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute further enhances the quality, value, and efficiency of medical oncology services at New England Cancer Specialists. Patients will receive:
- Increased access to Dana-Farber expert physicians for second opinions and consultations – without having to travel to Boston – while at New England Cancer Specialists or from their home via telehealth;
- Improved and faster access to caregivers at Dana-Farber in Boston when necessary;
- Benefits from closer collaboration between New England Cancer Specialists physicians with Dana-Farber physicians on patient care, including physician-to-physician case reviews, participation in tumor boards where complex cases are discussed, increased access to clinical trials, expanding options for treatment based on the newest studies and research, and training programs about the newest treatments and research for physicians and other staff;
- An increased use of precision medicine that allows treatment options customized to each patient, through the Philips IntelliSpace Precision Medicine Oncology Pathways powered by Dana-Farber;
- Benefits from Dana-Farber leadership participating in various committees at New England Cancer Specialists assisting in nursing, pharmacy, quality, patient satisfaction, clinical research, and operations;
- Enhancement to patient programs in areas such as palliative care, genetic counseling, and survivorship.
The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Affiliate Membership program helps disseminate the latest and most effective, evidence-based best practices and standards to its members. The Affiliate Membership helps to retain the low-cost care received by patients of New England Cancer Specialists and combines it with the high quality and support structure of Dana-Farber Cancer Institute to create a high-value cancer provider model in Maine and New Hampshire.
New England Cancer Specialists first joined with Dana-Farber as a Collaborative Member in 2019. As part of this membership enhancement process, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute clinicians and specialists conducted an extensive review of New England Cancer Specialists’ adult medical oncology practices and procedures at the three locations in Maine – Kennebunk, Scarborough, and Topsham – and the location in Portsmouth, NH, reviewing patient safety protocols, nursing and pharmacy practices, chemotherapy administration, and information systems. New England Cancer Specialists once again met the high standards required by the review.
New England Cancer Specialists is the only Affiliate Member of Dana-Farber in Maine.
“We are very pleased to continue working with the physicians and staff of New England Cancer Specialists as they become an Affiliate Member. They are a strong partner who share our mission to relieve the burden of cancer for as many people as possible. Through this expanded relationship, we are pleased to extend our expertise and assure exceptional compassionate care for patients in Maine and New Hampshire,” said Laurie H. Glimcher, MD, President and CEO, Dana-Farber.
“Becoming an Affiliate Member of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is a testament to our continued high quality patient care and our dedication to expanding access to the best cancer care in our communities. We are very pleased to have been recognized again as meeting the high standards of such a distinguished institution and look forward to continuing to build on our strong relationship with Dana-Farber to serve our patients,” said Chiara Battelli, MD, President of New England Cancer Specialists.