Friends' Place provides private individualized consultations for:
- Hair loss alternatives, including wigs, hats, scarves, and head coverings
- Post-breast surgery needs, including breast prostheses, custom breast prostheses, prosthetic bras, camisoles, swimwear and nightwear
- Compression garments to manage symptoms of lymphedema
- Mastectomy products, wigs, headwear, skin care, and more
Get a Fitting with a Certified Fitter
We also offer fashion advice, including head-wrap and scarf-tying techniques.
Other Services Offered at Friends' Place
- On-site cosmetologists providing skincare and nail care advice
- Alterations on wigs, swimsuits, bras (pockets can be sewn into your non-mastectomy bras and swimsuits)
- Financial assistance for patients experiencing hair loss or in need of post-breast surgery items
- Prosthetic banks: donated wigs and breast forms that are available free of charge to our patients.
- Complimentary sleep caps for men and women inpatients at BWH through our Team Andy Fund
- Dana-Farber Care Card: a reloadable spending card for patients, family members, friends, staff, and other visitors to make cashless purchases for food and services around the Institute.
CARE Bag Program (Continuum of Care. Awareness. Retail Services. Education.)
Complimentary CARE support bags are given to newly diagnosed patients, as well as women and men starting chemotherapy or radiation treatment. These uplifting bags include resource information related to treatment, recovery, comfort items, and services and items available at Friends' Place.
- Comfort Bag: Post Breast Surgical CARE Bag (distributed at Friends' Place)
This bag includes informational and resource materials about breast cancer, the diagnosis, the surgery, the treatment, living with and surviving breast cancer. This gift contains specialized items to aid in the healing process, a front closure post-surgical bra in soft cotton, a "Making Dreams Possible" pink baseball cap and a pink bracelet and Pink Ribbon lapel pin.
- Caring Bag: Caregivers CARE Bag (distributed at the Blum Resource Center)
This CARE bag speaks to and acknowledges the caregiver. Resource information includes nutrition tips, listening and coping techniques and a how to care for the patient at home guide. The Caregiver bag also contains Comfort items such as a notebook for taking notes and tracking appointments, a stress ball and a purple caregiver's awareness bracelet.