At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (together with its affiliates, "Dana-Farber"), your privacy is important to us and we take important steps to protect the privacy and security of your information.
This policy does not govern how we use your protected health information ("PHI"), as defined under the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act and related regulations. That information is governed by Dana-Farber's Notice of Privacy Practices. If you have any questions about Dana-Farber's Notice of Privacy Practices, please contact us at email@example.com.
1. Types of Information We Collect
In order to better serve you with our Sites, we may collect the following categories of information through the Sites.
This may include (i) contact information you provide (such as name, mailing address, e-mail address, or phone number), (ii) transactional and payment information, such as if you make a donation, (iii) any subscription preferences if you receive communications
from us, (iv) any surveys you respond to with feedback, and (v) Online User Activity as described below.
If you provide us with information regarding another individual, you represent that you have that person's consent to provide such information and to permit us to use it in accordance with this policy.
2. How We Use Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain about you for purposes allowed by applicable laws, including:
- Provide the Sites to you, including to provide the services offered through the Sites or otherwise by Dana-Farber, manage any transactions (e.g., donations), and provide other important notices;
- Respond to your requests, questions and comments;
- Monitor the performance of our Sites including metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns;
- Tailor the content we display through the Sites and in our communications, including any content or advertising that we believe may be of interest to you;
- Operate, evaluate and improve our Sites, and diagnose or fix technology problems;
- Comply with and enforce as needed applicable legal requirements, industry standards, our policies and our contractual rights.
We may also use or share information in an anonymized or aggregate manner for many purposes such as research, analysis, modeling, marketing, and improvement of our Sites.
3. How We Share Information
We will not disclose your personal information to third parties without your consent, except in the following circumstances.
- We may share your information with service providers that we believe need the information to perform a technology, business, or other professional function for us (examples include IT services, maintenance and hosting of our Sites, payment processors,
marketing partners, and other service providers). We only provide such vendors with information so they can perform their required functions on our behalf.
- If you voluntarily share or submit any content for public posting through our Sites (e.g., picture, story, commentary), or link it to any social media platforms, that post and any content or information associated with it may become available to the
- We also may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) when we believe disclosure is necessary to prevent harm or financial loss, (iii) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent
or illegal activity; or (iv) under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our staff, users or the public.
- We reserve the right to transfer the information we maintain in the event of an organizational change of control (e.g., merger or acquisition). If we engage in such a change of control, your personal information will be transferred subject to this
Where appropriate, we will limit sharing of your information in accordance with the choices you have provided us and applicable law.
4. Confidentiality and Security
An individual may use our Sites without providing personal information. However, when you submit a request or communication on our Sites, we may need certain information from you. For example, you may be asked to provide your name, email address, and/or
demographic information if you choose to complete any online forms used for class registration, special events and promotions or appointment requests, or to provide feedback about the Sites.
Dana-Farber maintains an information security program designed to protect our users' personal information. For example, we maintain a secure firewall and use all reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized access to personal information collected through
our Sites. We also endeavor to encrypt and secure the confidentiality of personal information transmitted to us.
5. Online User Activity (Cookies, Tracking, and Interest-Based Advertising)
We, our service providers, and advertising partners may collect certain information about your device and use of our Sites by automated means, including but not limited to cookies, pixels and other similar technologies ("Online User Activity").
These technologies can be implemented by Dana-Farber or by third-party products or services we use (such as from Google or Facebook). "Cookies" are small data files that online services can store on, and retrieve from, a user's computer or mobile device
through the web browser. The information is stored and retrievable either for the duration of a website visit (known as "session" cookies), or until some later point in time set by the website dropping the cookie (known as "persistent" cookies). Cookies
are very commonly used by websites and most browsers are configured by default to accept cookies.
When you use the Sites, the information we may collect by automated means includes, for example:
- Usage details about your interaction with our Sites (such as the date, time, and length of visits, and specific pages or content accessed during the visits, search terms, frequency of the visits, referring website addresses);
- Device information including the IP address and other details of a device that you use to connect with our Sites (such as device type and unique device identifier, operating system, browser type, mobile network information, and the device's telephone
- General location information if your device shares information about its location.
Cookies and these other technologies can help us automatically identify you when you return to our Sites. Cookies help us review website traffic patterns and improve the website, and determine what Sites are popular. We can also use such information to
deliver customized content and advertising to users of the Sites whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area. Our Sites work with who help us track and analyze visitor activity on the Sites, measure the effectiveness
of our advertising efforts, and support the optimization of our digital marketing campaigns.
Dana-Farber deploys the Facebook Pixel on some informational webpages. The Facebook Pixel may enable Facebook to match website visitors with their Facebook User Accounts. You can find out more about how Facebook uses data when you visit our Website by
visiting Facebook's Data Policy page, "What kinds of information do we collect? > Information from partners."
We may use web analytics and tag management services and tools service provided by Google and other third parties to collect certain information relating to your use of the Website. You can find out more about how Google uses data when you visit our Website
You can turn off tracking cookies from our Sites in your browser by clicking here or with the settings button on the cookie banner which appears when visiting the Sites. Please note that some peripheral sites (i.e., subdomains) accessible through our website do not yet support cookie preferences, so cookies on those sites will not be affected by your settings. As an alternative, most browsers allow the visitor to reject cookies. In either instance, if you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features our Sites provide. Because there is not yet a consensus on how companies should
respond to web browser-based do-not-track ("DNT") mechanisms, we do not respond to web browser-based DNT signals at this time.
6. Donor Information Collection and Use
When you make a gift to Dana-Farber through a physical (e.g., check) or electronic form of payment, your email address and mailing address will be entered into our donor database. If you opt in, we may send you emails or mailings in the future informing
you of other giving opportunities or providing news about Dana-Farber or the Jimmy Fund.
Dana-Farber does not sell or rent donor information to others, but we do occasionally exchange donor mailing lists with other non-profit organizations for fundraising purposes. This process helps us engage new supporters, saves us money and is carefully
monitored. One may always opt out by contacting the Annual Giving office at 617-632-6099 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Your Privacy Choices
We offer you certain choices about what information we collect from you, how we use and disclose the information, and how we communicate with you.
If you choose not to receive any further communication from us, you may opt-out as follows:
- Opt Out of Mailings: If you wish to opt out of receiving fundraising mail from Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund, please call 800-525-4669 or visit this print opt out form.
- Opt Out of Email: If you wish to opt out of receiving fundraising emails from Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund, please call 800-525-4669 or visit this email opt out form.
You may choose not to receive marketing emails from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the marketing emails you receive from us.
- Opt Out of Dana-Farber E-Newsletters: You can opt out of E-Newsletters by clicking on the opt out link at the bottom of the message or by emailing us at JimmyFundContactUs@dfci.harvard.edu.
Other privacy choices:
- Request to remove personal data: You may ask us to remove or delete your personal data collected on this site by contacting us at JimmyFundContactUs@dfci.harvard.edu (subject to certain exceptions and legal retention obligations).
You may also contact the following Office of Philanthropy Departments for questions about fundraising communications:
As noted in the Online User Activity section, you can disable website cookies as provided above.
8. Online Advertising
You may see us advertising on various websites, web pages, social media and other platforms. Please note that online advertising service do not always provide us with complete information about the platforms or website on which our advertising may appear.
If you believe that our advertising is being displayed through websites or channels that promote inappropriate or offensive content, please contact us as directed on our Contact Us page.
9. Links to Other Websites or Content
Our Sites may contain links to other websites, apps or online services, including social media. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other websites, apps or online services, and we encourage you to be
aware when you leave our Sites and to read the privacy statements of any other website, app or online service that collects personal information.
We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 13 on our Sites. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will endeavor to delete that information
as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us as directed below.
11. International Data Transfers and Use
Our Sites are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than those of the United States. Any information you provide through use of the
Sites may be stored and processed, transferred between and accessed from the United States and other countries which may not guarantee the same level of protection of personal information as the one in which you reside. However, we will handle your
12. Contacting Us
or by phone at 617-632-6593.
Last updated August 10, 2022.