Preparing for Your Virtual Visit
If you will be in Massachusetts at the time of your appointment, you may be able to have a virtual visit with your Dana-Farber doctor or other health care provider — meeting by phone or video from your home or another private location. If your care team
determines you have an upcoming appointment that is appropriate for a virtual visit, we will help make sure that you have everything you need to meet with us — by phone, computer, smartphone, or tablet device.
To prepare for a virtual visit:
- Review our tip sheet on setting up your computer, smartphone, or tablet, for a virtual visit.
- Enroll in Patient Gateway if you have not already done so.
- Choose a private location that will be quiet and free of distractions during your visit. Consider using headphones with a microphone, which may be easier to hear than your computer or smartphone speaker.
- Before your visit, write down any questions you might have for your care team. Make a list of all the medications that you currently take.
- Invite a friend or loved one to join your virtual visit, if you'd like. You can give them the link for a video visit or the phone number for a phone visit.
- Make sure your device has a good internet connection before your visit. To maximize bandwidth, you may want to restart your computer shortly before you start your visit.
- Have a phone nearby during your virtual visit. Keep your doctor's phone number handy in case you get disconnected or are unable to join the virtual visit.
As always, we are committed to your privacy, so we work to ensure that all of our virtual visits are encrypted and fully comply with HIPAA
security standards to protect your patient data.
Need help with your virtual visit?
If you need help setting up your device, connecting with your virtual visit, or troubleshooting general problems with your virtual visit, please call Patient Gateway technical support at 800-745-9683 and select option 1.
Common Questions About Billing for Virtual Visits
Will my health plan cover costs for my virtual visit? How will I be charged?
Coverage for virtual visits is usually similar to in-person visits, so PCP referral and co-pay requirements may apply, depending on your specific health plan. You can check with your health insurance provider to learn more.
Dana-Farber financial counselors can also help you with questions about your health insurance. Call 617-582-9820 or visit Dana-Farber's insurance and financial information webpage.
Can I pay in advance for multiple virtual visits?
No. You will need to submit any required payment or copay after each successfully completed virtual visit.
How can I pay for my virtual visit?
As with your in-person visits, you may be billed for any copays, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket expenses after your health plan has processed your claim for a virtual visit. You can pay by phone, mail, or electronically through Patient Gateway. Major credit cards and personal checks are accepted.
Can I use my Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Account (HSA) to pay for expenses related to a virtual visit?
In most cases, yes. Most copays, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket expenses for medical services are eligible expenses for most HSAs or FSAs. However, we recommend that you confirm eligible expenses with your employer or health plan.
What if I think I've received a bill in error or have a question about my bill?
Start by calling the phone number listed on your bill. If you need further help, please call Customer Service at 617-632-3795, or toll-free at 866-408-4669.