Apple Blueberry Crisp
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 apples (whatever is in season), peeled
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or the juice from half a lime
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup butter (or coconut oil), melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and dice the apples into 1/2" cubes. Place them in a medium bowl and toss with lime juice.
- Add the blueberries and fold until combined.
- Pour into a pie dish or 8 X 8 baking dish. Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar, flour, oats, pecans, pumpkin pie spice, and ginger. Pour in the butter and mix with a fork until the mixture resembles crumbles.
- Spread the crumble topping on top of the fruit. If you would like, top with a few more pecans.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is browned and the filling is bubbly.
- Allow to cool slightly.
Source: Allison Mars is a senior in the dietetics program at Boston University and a volunteer at Dana-Farber. She is looking forward to a career as a clinical RD and loves cooking and sharing healthy food with everyone.
Delicious and Nutritious Recipes
Our recipes are developed by Dana-Farber's staff of registered and board-certified dieticians. They feature a varied selection of dishes – including a few sweet treats you don't need to feel guilty about.
Our nutrition experts help patients follow a healthy diet during and after cancer treatment. They have special training in oncology and nutrition.