Asian Chicken and Coconut Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted chili paste
- 12 medium shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 lime, juice and finely chopped zest
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add oil to a large soup pot. Add chicken and brown briefly, 2-3 minutes. Remove and cover with foil until ready to use.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, chili paste, and shiitake mushrooms to the hot pan. Sauté over medium heat until soft, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the stock, lime zest and juice, fish sauce, and ginger and simmer for 5 minutes or so. Add the coconut milk and chicken. Simmer for about 4-5 more minutes.
- To serve, add about 1/4 cup of cooked rice to each bowl and ladle the hot soup over the rice. Garnish with cilantro.
Source: Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center
Delicious and Nutritious Recipes
Our recipes are developed by Dana-Farber's staff of registered and board-certified dieticians. They feature a varied selection of dishes – including a few sweet treats you don't need to feel guilty about.
Our nutrition experts help patients follow a healthy diet during and after cancer treatment. They have special training in oncology and nutrition.