Black Bean and Walnut Brownies
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, divided into two 1/4 cup portions
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon canola, coconut, or walnut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9" x 9" square baking pan with oil.
- In a blender, purée black beans in olive oil. Then add eggs, cocoa, agave/maple sugar, and vanilla. Melt half of the chocolate chips and add to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Add to the blender and pulse until just incorporated.
- Stir in the remaining chocolate chips and pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle walnuts on top.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until surface looks somewhat matte.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting and removing from the pan.
Source: Nicolette Maggiolo is a volunteer at Dana-Farber and a student in the dietetics program at Boston University. She enjoys collaborating with various health professionals and looks forward to a career as a clinical Registered Dietitian. Nicolette aspires to help people embrace healthy lifestyle behaviors as a partner in disease prevention and recovery.
Delicious and Nutritious Recipes
Our recipes are developed by Dana-Farber's staff of registered and board-certified dieticians. They feature a varied selection of dishes – including a few sweet treats you don't need to feel guilty about.
Our nutrition experts help patients follow a healthy diet during and after cancer treatment. They have special training in oncology and nutrition.