Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 medium butternut squash
- drizzle of olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt (strained)
- heavy cream for garnish (optional)
- chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut butternut squash in half and scrape out seeds. Brush cut sides with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Place the halves cut-side down on a rimmed sheet pan and pierce with a knife in a few spots. Roast for 45 minutes. Removed from the oven and cool.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop the soft flesh from the shells.
- Place the squash in a blender with chicken stock and Greek-style yogurt; purée. Add more or less chicken stock to adjust the finished thickness of your soup. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with a dribble of heavy cream and chopped chives. Can be served hot or cold.
Source: Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center
Delicious and Nutritious Recipes
Our recipes are developed by Dana-Farber's staff of registered and board-certified dieticians. They feature a varied selection of dishes – including a few sweet treats you don't need to feel guilty about.
Our nutrition experts help patients follow a healthy diet during and after cancer treatment. They have special training in oncology and nutrition.