- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup dry bulgur wheat
- 3 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the dry lentils and bulgur wheat and stir.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil (at this point you can also add in the sweet potatoes, carrots, and bell pepper).
- Simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils are tender.
Source: Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center
Delicious and Nutritious Recipes
Our recipes are developed by Dana-Farber's staff of registered and board-certified dieticians. They feature a varied selection of dishes – including a few sweet treats you don't need to feel guilty about.
Our nutrition experts help patients follow a healthy diet during and after cancer treatment. They have special training in oncology and nutrition.