- 1 cup leeks, rinsed and chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, skinned and chopped
- 2 cups pumpkin, roasted (see nutrition tip for how-to) and skinned; or 16 oz. canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- In a large skillet, sauté chopped whites of leek for 5 minutes. Add in apples, cook two more minutes.
- Add in 4 cups vegetable broth and the chopped sweet potato and pumpkin.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove to a cool place before blending. Do not blend hot liquids. Do not overfill the blender, no more than 1/3 of the way up. When cooled, blend all of the soup and reheat to barely a simmer.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and chives. Serve.
6 servings (1 cup each)
Source: Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center
Delicious and Nutritious Recipes
Our recipes are developed by Dana-Farber's staff of registered and board-certified dieticians. They feature a varied selection of dishes – including a few sweet treats you don't need to feel guilty about.
Our nutrition experts help patients follow a healthy diet during and after cancer treatment. They have special training in oncology and nutrition.