- 1/2 pound fillet of salmon
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced green beans
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To separate the salmon from the skin, grasp a corner of the skin firmly with one hand. With the other hand, slip a knife horizontally between the flesh of the fish and the skin. (You may be able to ask your fish market to do this for you.) Discard skin. Coarsely chop salmon. Place in a bowl.
- Add beans, chives and egg white to salmon. With a fork, stir to blend. (The mixture will be quite wet.) Mix in mashed potatoes, salt, cayenne pepper and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper. Form mixture into 4 burgers, wetting your hands first with cold water. If not cooking them immediately, place burgers on a plate, cover with foil and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Heat Grill. Add salmon burgers, cook for 2 ½ minutes then flip – repeat for total cook time of 10 minutes (5 minutes on each side), until fish is cooked and burgers are opaque all the way through.
Nutrition per serving:
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research, 2002
Delicious and Nutritious Recipes
Our recipes are developed by Dana-Farber's staff of registered and board-certified dieticians. They feature a varied selection of dishes – including a few sweet treats you don't need to feel guilty about.
Our nutrition experts help patients follow a healthy diet during and after cancer treatment. They have special training in oncology and nutrition.