- 1 pound large shrimp or white fish
- 4 cups seafood stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks (about 3 leeks)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in large pot and add leeks. Cook them for 10 minutes over low to medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add shrimp or fish and cook over medium to low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the shrimp and leeks into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until coarsely puréed.
- In the same pot, melt butter/coconut oil. Add flour and cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the coconut milk and cook, stirring with a whisk, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pureed shrimp, the stock, tomato paste, salt and pepper and heat gently until hot but not boiling. Season to taste and serve.
Source: Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center
Delicious and Nutritious Recipes
Our recipes are developed by Dana-Farber's staff of registered and board-certified dieticians. They feature a varied selection of dishes – including a few sweet treats you don't need to feel guilty about.
Our nutrition experts help patients follow a healthy diet during and after cancer treatment. They have special training in oncology and nutrition.