Checklist for New Adult Patients
Visiting Dana-Farber? See our prescreening and mask requirements.
If you are scheduled for a first appointment at our cancer center, we recommend that you complete the following steps to ensure that you make the most of your first visit:
- Call your primary care physician (PCP) and health insurance provider to make sure your coverage includes our cancer center. Ask whether you need a referral or out-of-network approval for services to be covered here. Insurance referrals can be sent by fax (617-582-7975) or phone (877-994-4567). If you are unable to get a referral or out-of-network approval from your insurer, please call our financial counselors at 617-632-3455.
- Ask your health insurance provider about your out-of-pocket financial responsibility (such as deductibles, copays, and co-insurance). If you will be a patient at Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center, please note that your visit with our specialists will be billed as an outpatient hospital service. Please also note that Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital bill separately for services.
- Review our Paying for Your Care flyer to learn more about insurance and financial matters related to your care.
- Know where to go. Find maps, directions, and parking information by location.
- See our health care proxy information and be sure to fill out and sign the health care proxy form. We believe that everyone should have a health care proxy – not just those dealing with illness or injury.
- Find out how you are protected from surprise billing or balance billing if you get emergency care or are treated by an out-of-network provider at an in-network hospital or ambulatory surgical center. To learn your rights under federal and state law, please review Your Rights and Protections Against Surprise Bills.
Other steps to consider:
- Write down any questions you might have for your doctor and bring the list with you to your appointment. We encourage you to ask questions at any time and let us know how we can help.
- Consider inviting an adult friend or family member to come with you to your appointment. He or she may be able to help by taking notes during your visit. In general, you can expect to spend at least two hours at your first appointment.
- Sign up for Patient Gateway, which is Dana-Farber's preferred way to communicate online with adult patients.
- Let us know if you need an interpreter. Call 617-632-3673.
- Visit our places to stay page if you need a hotel or other accommodations in Boston.
- Learn more about what to expect at your first appointment